The family lawyers from Crossroads Law located in Vancouver BC and Calgary AB have a client centred approach to help you successfully navigate the family law system. Our experienced family and divorce lawyers author these blogs to provide you insight and to help you through this challenging time.


Family loans during COVID 19 could create issues if divorce happens

The economy in Alberta has taken a huge hit due to COVID 19 and the price of oil hitting record lows. As a result, many more couples are receiving loans or gifts of cash from their families to help them get by. Normally, this is not a problem.  However, when couples separate or divorce it inevitably creates an issue.

How Do I Get An Annulment in B.C
How Do I Get An Annulment in B.C.?

We are often asked about how to obtain an annulment for a short-term marriage, however, there seems to be a common misconception that the duration of the marriage is what allows a person to obtain an annulment.

Sperm Donation Questions Answered by a Fertility Lawyer
Sperm Donation Questions Answered by a Fertility Lawyer

Donor insemination is a fertility procedure that involves transferring sperm obtained from a sperm donor into a woman’s reproductive tract at the time of ovulation by means other than sexual intercourse.

How to Deal With High Conflict Co parenting
How to Deal With High Conflict Co-parenting

Generally, having a child with another person means that you are going to have a relationship with that person for the rest of your life. In some cases, this relationship can be difficult as it may be a high conflict parenting relationship. 

what do i need to do when i separate
What do I need to do when I separate?

Deciding to separate from a spouse or partner is a difficult decision and one that people should not take lightly. Once the decision is made, our clients often do not know what to do next. The following are some things to consider if you have decided to separate from your partner.

Closeup of a child drawing in a notebook with coloured pencils on the floor
Child Protection Agreements British Columbia

In British Columbia, the Ministry of Children and Family Development (“MCFD”) is the government department tasked with child protection and managing the policies of the Child Family and Community Services Act (“CFCSA”).

Three women talking at a corner office boardroom table
What is Collaborative Divorce and is it right for you?

Collaborative Divorce in Vancouver, also known as Collaborative Practice or Collaborative Law, is a voluntary and private dispute resolution process in which the parties commit to settling their matter outside of Court.

Diamond engagement ring on a glassy surface
Who Keeps the Engagement Ring After Separation in Alberta?

A question I hear a lot is, what happens to the engagement ring if we break up? As is so often the case in family law, the answer really depends on the circumstances. The main factor is what stage were the parties in their relationship when they separated.

Camille Boyer profile picture
Crossroads Law Welcomes Calgary Family Lawyer Camille Boyer

Crossroads Law is very excited to announce that Camille Boyer has joined our Calgary family law team. Camille has worked as a family lawyer in Calgary for a number of years and has gained a reputation as an effective negotiator and passionate advocate for her clients.

Small calculator and pen on graph paper with writing on it
Marcus Sixta discusses Divorce and Money – The Unplanned Journey

Episode abstract: Jim Doyle of Doyle & Associates Private Wealth Management and his guests, Marcus Sixta of Crossroads Law, Yuval Berger of Hindsight Counselling, and Rahul Aggarwal of CleanDivorce, explore how separating or divorcing couples find themselves on an unplanned journey.

Elderly couple hold a baby and a toddler
Do Grandparents have rights to grandchildren in Alberta?

Alberta’s Family Law Act provides for some possible options for grandparents when grandparents and parents cannot agree on contact with a child. It should first be noted, that grandparents do NOT have a “right” to see, or take care of their grandchildren.

The information contained in this blog is not legal advice and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject. The information provided in this blog is for informational purposes only.